As a women’s rights agency founded in the wake of the struggle for equal credit, She Leads Justice knows all too well the ways that discrimination can affect the lives of women and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people stepping outside of gender roles. If you have questions, She Leads Justice’s Information & Referral (I&R) service can help you understand your rights and explain your options.

You can contact She Leads Justice’s I&R service online or by calling (860) 524-0601 in the Greater Hartford Area or toll-free at 1-800-479-2949. She Leads Justice’s I&R line is open Monday through Thursday from 9am to 2pm and Fridays from 9am to 1pm.

To meet an advocate in person in the Greater Hartford or New Haven area, call (860) 247-6090 to schedule an appointment.


She Leads Justice publishes informational booklets on many legal topics.  Please call the I&R line if you are interested in receiving booklets. Some of our booklets are also available to download here.


What legal issues do I face as an older woman that I didn’t when I was younger?

  • Age discrimination in employment
  • Age discrimination in housing
  • Right to alimony, medical benefits, and child support after divorce
  • Retirement and social security benefits
  • Wills and trusts
  • Living wills
  • Elder abuse


How do I know I’m being discriminated against at work because of my age?

You might be the target of age discrimination if:

  • you are paid less than a younger worker for doing essentially the same job,
  • you have trained younger workers and they have been promoted over you to jobs with higher pay and responsibility,
  • you were told at a job interview that you were overqualified because you have more education or experience than the job requires,
  •  you have other evidence that your age affects how your employer treats you.

There are laws to protect you and state agencies that can help you file a claim of discrimination.

What is a living will?

A living will is a document stating your wishes concerning your health care if you are in a terminal state or permanently unconscious, and is most frequently referred to in the context of decisions to remove life support. Anyone can make a living will; you do not need an attorney, but state law requires you to be of sound mind and to have the document signed in front of two witnesses. It is always wise to have an attorney review any such document to make sure it meets statutory requirements. The Connecticut State Department of Social Services or your regional Area Agency on Aging can give you printed forms to help you draft a living will without legal assistance.